Sunday, November 11, 2012

November 11, 2012

     This past week in Family Relations, we have been talking about crises in the family. I was able to connect a lot to this week's topic because I have seen it in my own family, as I'm sure many have. We discussed that while going through a crisis, it is natural to look at it as a negative experience. However, after it is all said and done, we can look back and see the good that has come from it.
     In my life, we have had to make a lot of adjustments. My mom passed away from cancer when I was 11 years old. I think that while this could have destroyed and torn apart our family, it actually did the opposite. It brought us closer; formed a bond between us and our dad as we struggled to find ways to keep being happy. Not only did it bring our immediate family closer, it also brought our ward family closer. What a blessing that was.
     My dad getting remarried wasn't necessarily a crisis. But it was definitely a time for lots of readjustments. That may have seemed like a negative experience for a lot of us too, but in the long run, looking back we are able to see the many blessings the remarriage has brought into our lives. We have grown even closer again and have had our testimonies built stronger.
     In think it is a great idea to learn about things that could possibly happen in the future to make ourselves aware that life isn't always a smooth ride. There will be bumps and bruises along the way. The way we handle, interpret, and (hopefully) grow after them will be an important factor in how relationships within the family end up. I'm glad to be learning about these things while I'm preparing for marriage and a family so that I can have my eyes open to how hard (and potentially rewarding )it will be. I know that how I/we handle these crises will effect us for the rest of our lives. I pray that I will keep what I've learned in mind when they come.

No comments: